🔥 SUNDAY SERVICE SERMON — AUGUST 16, 2026
MONTH OF DIVINE OPEN DOOR
SERMON TOPIC: SPECIFIC AND DIRECT PRAYER OF FAITH
Preacher: Pastor Edward Freedom
Main Texts
• Matthew 7:7–8 — “Ask, and it shall be given you…”
• Mark 11:24 — “What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them…”
• 1 John 5:14–15 — Confidence that God hears us when we ask according to His will.
• Revelation 3:7–8 — God is the One who opens doors that no man can shut.
INTRODUCTION: GOD IS A GOD WHO OPENS DOORS
Beloved, we are in our Month of Divine Open Door.
An open door represents access, opportunity, advancement, favour, breakthrough and entrance into what God has prepared.
Revelation 3:8 says:
“Behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it.”
Notice something important:
The door is God's responsibility, but prayer is one of the ways we respond to God's invitation.
Many people pray, but they pray without clarity.
They say:
“Lord, bless me.”
“Lord, remember me.”
“Lord, do something.”
“Lord, open doors.”
There is nothing inherently wrong with such prayers, but there are moments when general prayer must become specific prayer.
There are times when you must tell God exactly what you are asking Him to do.
Faith is not afraid to be specific.
1. WHAT IS SPECIFIC AND DIRECT PRAYER?
Specific prayer is prayer that clearly identifies what you are asking God to do.
Instead of saying:
“Lord, bless my family.”
You may say:
“Father, I ask You to restore peace and reconciliation in my family and give us wisdom to resolve this particular conflict.”
Instead of:
“Lord, bless my business.”
Say:
“Father, I am asking You for the right business opportunity, the right clients and wisdom to manage what You place in my hands.”
Instead of:
“Lord, open doors for me.”
Ask:
“Father, open the specific door of employment, business, ministry, admission or opportunity that is according to Your will for me.”
Specific prayer brings clarity to your request.
2. JESUS ENCOURAGED PEOPLE TO MAKE THEIR REQUEST KNOWN
Consider the blind man in Mark 10:46–52.
Jesus asked him:
“What wilt thou that I should do unto thee?”
Jesus knew the man's condition.
Jesus knew he was blind.
Yet Jesus still asked him what he wanted.
Why?
Because there is something powerful about expressing your desire before God.
The man answered:
“Lord, that I might receive my sight.”
He did not say:
“Lord, just do something for me.”
He was specific.
“I want to receive my sight.”
And Jesus responded to his faith.
3. BLIND BARTIMAEUS TEACHES US TO PRAY SPECIFICALLY
Bartimaeus had a specific problem.
He had a specific request.
He brought that request directly to Jesus.
This teaches us something:
Don't allow the size of your problem to make your prayer vague.
If you need direction, ask for direction.
If you need wisdom, ask for wisdom.
If you need healing, bring your need before God.
If you need provision, tell God what you need.
If you need restoration, ask specifically for restoration.
If you need an opportunity, ask God for the right opportunity.
4. HANNAH PRAYED WITH A SPECIFIC REQUEST
Look at 1 Samuel 1:10–20.
Hannah was deeply distressed because she had no child.
She did not merely complain about her situation.
She brought her burden before God.
She made a vow and presented her request before the Lord.
Eventually, God answered her prayer and she gave birth to Samuel.
A burden became a prayer.
A prayer became an answer.
An answer became a testimony.
Some of the things troubling you today need to be converted from anxiety into prayer.
Philippians 4:6 says:
“In every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.”
Notice the expression:
“Let your requests be made known.”
God wants you to bring your requests to Him.
5. SPECIFIC PRAYER IS NOT TRYING TO COMMAND GOD
This is extremely important.
Specific prayer does not mean telling God:
“God, You must do exactly what I want.”
Faith is not manipulation.
Faith is trusting God.
Jesus Himself taught us to pray:
“Thy will be done.”
— Matthew 6:10
Therefore, our prayer should contain both:
Confidence in God's power
and
Submission to God's will.
We can say:
“Father, this is what I desire. I believe You are able to do it. If it is according to Your will, open this door for me, and give me grace to recognize and walk through it.”
That is mature faith.
6. THE POWER OF “ASK”
Jesus said in Matthew 7:7:
“Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.”
There are three powerful words:
ASK.
SEEK.
KNOCK.
Prayer is not passive.
When you ask, you acknowledge that God is your source.
When you seek, you demonstrate that you are willing to pursue God's direction.
When you knock, you demonstrate persistence.
7. A DIVINE OPEN DOOR REQUIRES DISCERNMENT
Not every open door is a God-opened door.
Sometimes an opportunity can look attractive and still be wrong for you.
Therefore, don't only pray:
“Lord, open doors.”
Also pray:
“Lord, open the right doors and close the wrong ones.”
Some doors need to remain closed.
A closed door can sometimes be divine protection.
A delay can sometimes be divine preparation.
A “no” can sometimes preserve you from something you cannot yet see.
Therefore:
Don't measure God's goodness only by how many doors He opens.
Sometimes God's mercy is demonstrated by the door He refuses to open.
8. GOD CAN OPEN A DOOR THAT HUMAN BEINGS CANNOT OPEN
Revelation 3:7 says:
“He that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth.”
There are doors that human connections cannot open.
There are doors money cannot open.
There are doors education cannot open.
There are doors your family cannot open.
But God can open them.
Joseph went from prison to the palace.
David went from the pasture to the throne.
Esther went from obscurity to the palace.
Daniel went from captivity to influence.
God specializes in impossible transitions.
9. PRAY THE WORD, NOT JUST YOUR EMOTIONS
Effective faith does not rest merely on feelings.
It rests on God's Word.
When you pray, find God's promises concerning your situation.
For example:
For wisdom:
James 1:5
“If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God…”
For provision:
Philippians 4:19
“But my God shall supply all your need…”
For direction:
Proverbs 3:5–6
“In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.”
For courage:
2 Timothy 1:7
“For God hath not given us the spirit of fear…”
For divine opportunity:
Revelation 3:8
“I have set before thee an open door…”
10. FAITH BELIEVES GOD BEFORE THE ANSWER APPEARS
Mark 11:24 says:
“What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.”
Faith does not mean pretending the problem doesn't exist.
Faith means:
“The problem is real, but God is greater.”
You may not see the door yet.
You may not see the answer yet.
You may not know how God will do it.
But you can trust the character of God.
Faith says: “I don't know how, but I know Who.”
11. DON'T LET DELAY DESTROY YOUR FAITH
Sometimes you pray today and the answer does not come tomorrow.
Does that mean God has rejected you?
No.
Look at Daniel 10:12–13.
Daniel prayed, and there was a delay in the manifestation of the answer.
This teaches us that delay is not always denial.
Therefore:
Pray specifically.
Pray persistently.
Pray with faith.
Pray according to God's Word.
And remain submitted to God's timing.
12. SPECIFIC PRAYER MUST BE FOLLOWED BY SPECIFIC ACTION
Prayer is not an excuse for inactivity.
If you are praying:
“Lord, give me a job,”
prepare yourself for employment.
Update your skills.
Apply.
Network.
Prepare for interviews.
If you are praying:
“Lord, grow my business,”
learn.
Plan.
Improve your service.
Manage your finances.
Market your business.
If you are praying:
“Lord, use me in ministry,”
study God's Word.
Develop your character.
Serve faithfully.
Faith prays, but faith also obeys.
James 2:17 reminds us that faith without works is dead.
🔥 WHAT SHOULD WE PRAY FOR DURING OUR MONTH OF DIVINE OPEN DOOR?
Let us become specific.
1. Open the door of salvation
“Lord, bring my unsaved family members to genuine repentance and faith in Christ.”
2. Open the door of divine direction
“Lord, show me the path You want me to take.”
3. Open the door of legitimate opportunity
“Lord, connect me with opportunities that align with Your purpose for my life.”
4. Open the door of favour
“Lord, grant me favour with the people and authorities whose decisions affect my assignment.”
5. Open the door of provision
“Father, provide what I genuinely need and give me wisdom to manage Your provision.”
6. Open the door of ministry
“Lord, give me opportunities to preach, teach, serve and influence people for Your glory.”
7. Open the door of restoration
“Lord, restore what is according to Your will and give me wisdom concerning what cannot be restored.”
8. Open the door of wisdom
“Lord, show me what I have been unable to see.”
9. Open the door of healthy relationships
“Lord, bring the right people into my life and give me discernment concerning relationships.”
10. Open the door of divine purpose
“Lord, let my life fulfil the purpose for which You created me.”
🔥 DECLARATIONS OF FAITH
Church, say this with faith:
Father, in the name of Jesus,
I believe You are the God who opens doors.
Open before me the doors that are according to Your will.
Close every door that will destroy Your purpose for my life.
Give me discernment to recognize the doors You open.
Give me courage to walk through them.
Give me wisdom to steward every opportunity You provide.
I reject fear.
I reject discouragement.
I reject spiritual stagnation.
I will not miss what You have ordained for me.
Every legitimate opportunity prepared for me, let me recognize it.
Every divine connection prepared for me, let me recognize it.
Every assignment prepared for me, give me grace to fulfil it.
Where I need wisdom, give me wisdom.
Where I need courage, give me courage.
Where I need patience, give me patience.
Where I need discipline, give me discipline.
Where I need favour, grant me favour.
And above everything, let Your will be established in my life.
In Jesus' mighty name.
AMEN!
🙏 CLOSING EXHORTATION
Beloved, don't leave today's service merely saying:
“I need an open door.”
Leave saying:
“I know what I am asking God for, I know why I am asking, I know what His Word says, and I am prepared to walk through the door when He opens it.”
Be specific in your prayer.
Be bold in your faith.
Be patient in God's timing.
Be obedient when the door opens.
Remember:
A door may be opened by God, but you still have to walk through it.
May this Month of Divine Open Door become a season of divine direction, divine opportunities, divine favour, divine wisdom and testimonies that bring glory to God.
In Jesus' name. Amen.
🔥 ALTAR CALL / RESPONSE
If you are here today and you have never surrendered your life completely to Jesus Christ, the greatest door you need opened is the door of salvation.
Jesus said in John 10:9:
“I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved…”
Today, don't only ask God to open doors for you.
First, open your heart to Him.
Prayer of Salvation
“Lord Jesus, I come to You today. I acknowledge that I need You. Forgive my sins, save me, transform my life and become Lord of my life. I surrender myself completely to You. From today, help me to follow You and live according to Your Word. In Jesus' name. Amen.”
Preacher: Pastor Edward Freedom
Theme for August 2026: DIVINE OPEN DOOR
Today's emphasis: Pray specifically. Believe genuinely. Walk obediently.
#prayer #prayerworks #prayeroffaith
Listen to Lifeboat Fm
APOSTLE EDWARD FREEDOM WELCOMES YOU INTO 2025
It is with Joy That I welcome you into this Year!
In This 2026. The Lord have given us his Word for us at Lifeboat Rescuing Church of Christ saying:
THIS IS OUR YEAR OF DIVINE SURPLUS!
Our Daily confession is:
"My God will supply all my need, according to His riches in Glory by Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:19)
2026 Holds a prophetic dimension for all of Us at Lifeboat Rescuing Church of Christ. The Lord our God wants us to banish fear and Have faith in Him for all our Needs. Welcome to 2026.
From Me,
Apostle Edward Freedom
(Senior Pastor @Lifeboat Rescuing Church of Christ)