GOSPEL TRACT SERIES: Correcting The Errors Of The Gospel Preachers
TRACT NO. 8
"I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST" - NOT FOR GREED, BUT FOR GRACE
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13
THE POPULAR ERROR
This is probably the most quoted verse on car stickers, T-shirts, and business signboards.
But how is it used?
"I can do all things - I can build a skyscraper without engineering! I can pass exam without reading! I can get any contract even if I am not qualified! I can live in sin and still make heaven!"
Many Christians use this verse as a magic charm for ambition and greed. They think it means Christ will give them power to achieve any selfish desire they want.
Because of this, many have entered into what God never called them to do, and they have failed woefully. Others are frustrated, thinking Christ has failed them.
This is error. The verse does not mean what they think it means.
THE BIBLICAL TRUTH
1. Read the verses BEFORE verse 13.
Many people start from verse 13, but the meaning is in verse 11 and 12:
"Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need." - Philippians 4:11-12
Then verse 13: "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."
What are the "all things" Paul was talking about?
All things means: I can be hungry and still serve God. I can be full and still be humble. I can be poor and still be joyful. I can suffer need and still be content.
It does NOT mean "I can get all things I want." It means "I can ENDURE all things and be CONTENT in all conditions through Christ."
2. It is about CONTENTMENT, not CONQUEST for greed.
Paul was in prison when he wrote Philippians. He was not talking about building an empire. He was saying: "Even in this prison, with chains on my hands, I can endure and be joyful through Christ who strengthens me."
This verse is for the student who failed but will still trust God. It is for the widow who has no food but will still praise God. It is for the faithful worker who is not promoted but will still serve honestly.
It is NOT for the greedy who wants to use Christ as a ladder to get what his lust desires.
3. Christ strengthens us to do HIS WILL, not OUR WILL.
"For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure." - Philippians 2:13
Christ strengthens you to do what God wants you to do, not what your greed wants.
He strengthens you to forgive when it is hard. He strengthens you to say no to fornication when your body is weak. He strengthens you to preach the Gospel when you are shy. He strengthens you to endure persecution.
He does NOT strengthen you to steal, to lie, to do rituals, or to achieve selfish ambition and then say "Christ strengthened me."
4. Even Paul could not do "all things" as people think.
Could Paul fly without an airplane? Could Paul be everywhere at once? Could Paul save himself from prison by claiming "I can do all things"? No.
He was beheaded in Rome. Did Christ fail to strengthen him? No! Christ strengthened him to DIE for the Gospel.
So "all things" does not mean all carnal things. It means all things that are within God's will for your life, especially things that require endurance and holiness.
WHAT SHOULD WE PREACH?
Stop preaching: "Use this verse to claim any car, house, and contract you want!"
Start preaching: "Through Christ, you have strength to be content, to be holy, to endure suffering, and to fulfill God's purpose for your life."
Preach that Christ's strength is for character, not just for career. It is for godliness, not just for greed.
"But godliness with contentment is great gain." - 1 Timothy 6:6
The greatest thing you can do through Christ is to live holy and please God in all conditions.
A CALL TO TRUE STRENGTH
Are you using Philippians 4:13 to chase selfish gain, and you are tired and failing?
Repent. Return to the true meaning. Ask Christ to strengthen you to be content and faithful where you are, and to do His will, not your own.
Are you weak, suffering, and about to give up? This verse is for you! You can endure! You can still be joyful! Christ will strengthen you!
Pray with me:
"Lord Jesus, forgive me for misusing Your Word for my greed. I thought Your strength was to get what I want. Today I understand - Your strength is to make me content and faithful in Your will. Strengthen me, Lord, to endure hardship, to live holy, to serve You joyfully whether I abound or suffer need. Through You, I can do all that You want me to do. Amen."
Written By:
Pst. Edward Freedom
Please look out for TRACT NO. 9 in this series: "DECREE AND DECLARE - God Is Not Your Houseboy"
For copies, counselling and prayers, contact the author.